Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Neo Citran is Decidedly Wet

The Calgary launch date for the Shift and Switch anthology is December 6. It'll be at McNally Robinson. A repeat of the Post-Prairie launch? Should be so fun.

McN-R is a great venue for a lot of reasons (you can buy drinks, coffee, food, books) but I feel a little bad sometimes about the way McN-R seems to have taken over as indie-bookstore-launch-site-of-choice since they came to town. Sure, they are independent, but they are also quite a large operation. Pages I love, but their space just can't compete for events (though it wins pants down in the browsing-and-friendly-people contest). Pages gives local authors a lifetime discount on books. McN-R gives free coffee tea or wine with invites. Pages usually serves free wine at events. Hmmm... I miss Books & Books. They took my first chapbooks on consignment.

In other news, we had ANOTHER mad party on the weekend. Paul and Chris had a joint B-Day party (some of the photos floating around are from that). P-Doody is now sick. We're committed to drying out for a few days, although technically, scarfing Neo Citran syrup is not dry.

In other other news, Cara is a-traveling. She'll be in Calgary on November 14th-- this from her:

Lil sister made an executive decision to screw Greyhound and their sleep-robbing, baby-crying, crazy-toothless-people, schizophrenic-driver, eau-de-B.O., bone-shaker marathons. Although I still support the idea that in order to defer becoming a grown-up, it is important to take the Greyhound as often as possible. It's like taking a youth serum, except different. Um, a slacker serum.

I bit the pillow and shelled out the extra thirty bucks (seat sales--hurray!) and bought me one of those there plane ticket thingies. The Cons (for example, the necessity of putting in my teeth and applying deodorant) did not beat out the Pros--which is that I arrive in Calgary, Alberta on Monday November 14th! And that I shall be the proud recipient of either a melee of pretzels and chips or a package of chocolate chip cookies! Either or. Do you get what I'm saying?--like, I get to CHOOSE.
Oh boy!


Other other other: may go to Jacqueline Honnet reading at Pages tonight with Julia. Julia took writing workshop with her, I went to school with JH's little sister way way way back-- like 15 years ago. I'm not in touch with anyone from my HS except Irene. So-- reading tonight, or Lost?

Other other other other: Paul's Spanish cousin is arriving tomorrow from Winnipeg (where he's been soaking up Canadian culture for a few months) to see how we live life out West(er). We're driving him to Banff so he can spend a few days with the lifers out there before he returns to Toledo or Barcelona or some such place. Nothing wrong with a Spanish cousin-- I'd like to go to Spain. Maybe we'll visit him and he'll drive us to Gibraltar.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What? You're watching Lost tonight instead of coming to the reading? And you gave me such a song and dance about staying home to update your blog. You scamp, you. But I guess you did update your blog... It's going to be a great reading too. Jacqueline Honnet's short stories are really something - they make me all emotional (and not entirely because I wish I'd written all of them.)

4:51 PM  
Blogger blert said...

Cara bit the pillow! Woooot. Oh and I am so, watching Lost...

7:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you people need to turn off the television.
-- papa-d

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home