Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Listen Up Sports Fans

It all begins tomorrow. The next week and a half are going to be intense. I don't know if my liver will survive.

Tomorrow night is the NOD launch-- Colin Martin and the English Literature Student's Society's new lit mag. Colin's mandate as interpreted by me (i.e. I take full responsibility if I get it wrong): to publish students (unlike dANDelion, which has a strict rule about publishing current students at the U of C) to publish ~really new~ writers, and to publish them alongside a few old hacks. I believe derek b is the issue for example (hehe! just teasing d). I think that this is a great idea and fills a niche that, though it's been filled at other times (orange, in grave ink) is not currently being filled in Calgary. (fS doesn't tend to publish the ~really new~. If you think ~really new~ is a euphemism for "never-been-published-before," or "young," you're right-- my ego rails against saying "young" writers, in part since I've always wanted to be a child prodigy, which didn't happen. Dammit!) The event is Colin-designed, which means it is at the Lazy Loaf and Kettle in Parkdale. Yay! Delicious sandwiches...

Friday night is the Rob Budde reading. He'll be at McNally Robinson. I'm keen on Rob. He's very sweet and his writing is so varied. Rob's got a magazine, stonestone at UNBC. it isn't new like NOD, but it's online, which I like. I'm putting a sidebar link up ASAP! As for Rob's reading, I'm voting now for "Not-the-Unicorn" for the after-reading location.

The weekend is mercifully free of literary events (Or at least that I am aware of).

Tuesday: Shift & Switch!!! Yay!!! My only sadness is that angela r chose to visit Vancouver for the S & S launch and not Calgary. What, you think the ocean is so great? Humph. ;) if Jordan S didn't take angela and conor to the Naam, I'm going to kick his ass. In a sporstmanlike fashion. The launch of this amazing and lovely anthology (younger writers, or young at heart-- not sure what the mandate was except that writers too much older than 30 didn't tend to submit writing for the anthology) is at McNAlly Robinson at 7-- readers: derek beaulieu, Jason Christie, ryan fitzpatrick, Jay Gamble, Jill Hartman, Larissa Lai, Julia Williams.

Thursday: Flywheel at McNally Robinson. (How will I get through this week? I'm already getting tired just writing about it!) Readers: Eugene Stickland, Jonathan Ball, Peter Norman, and Sharron Proulx-Turner.

Friday: dANDelion launch!!! Scroll down for detailed info. Suffice to say, it will be SO FUN. SO. FUN.

How does one preprare oneself for SO MUCH FUN? One drinks a lot of Perrier in an attempt to detoxify the "Cara's-in-town-let's-throw-caution-to-the-winds" liver in preparation. Cara, the big bubble-blowing baby, is leaving today for Winnipeg. She was probably afraid of the upcoming tidal wave of fun.

I like Perrier. I like the lemon-flavour version. I know that it is distributed by Nestle. Or at least, I just noticed that. Paul just noticed that, actually. So, does anyone have a suggestion for an alternative bubbly water? (I don't like San Pellegrino. Too much like sipping a hot tub-- the pH seems dangerously basic to me.)

Over and Out.

2 Comments:

Blogger blert said...

Jilly.

Looks like we have to fight. I propose that this fight be waged in some kind of lubricated container such as a kids swimming pool.

1:51 PM  
Blogger a.rawlings said...

lemon-flavoured perrier. YUM. have you tried the lime-flavoured? DOUBLE YUM.

might i recommend san benedetto? when you visited toronto, we had an amazing dinner at sotto voce's in little italy. they served us san benedetto sparkling water; i vaguely recall it being bubblier than san pellegrino (which has the smallest, flattest sparkles i've encountered)... anyway, online: http://www.sanbenedetto.it/

we didn't go to the NAAM. thre wasn't nearly enough time. we will go next time we visit vancouver, DEFINITELY. but you and jordan should STILL fight.

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home