Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Congratulations Papa Smurph

Last week (boy time sure flies! um) I went to Travis Murphy's art opening. I meant to bring my camera, but I forgot it, so I can't post any photos of the show. I meant to take notes, but I don't even know what the title of the show is. Was. It's probably over by now-- I think the Little Gallery (see-- I know the location at least) has a high rate of turnover, what with all those Visual Art students vying for space. So I can't really recommend you go see it, because I bet some young turk with charcoal-stained clothes and interesting hair is already in there painting and sanding and imperiously pointing to blank spaces, friends scurrying to and fro with mixed-media trailing behind them in an effort to get the new show ready for its opening.

But I can tell you that Travis (fondly known as Smurphy, smirkingly known as Randy, and when we're abusing him, known as Louise) and his real friends Sandy Lam, Chris Ewart and derek beaulieu put up a really cool exhibit and Travis' hair was just as interesting as ever. The theme of the work (mixed media) was Travis' late lamented knuckle-- you know, the one he savagely mangled using the wood shop at the Art Department last fall. Talk about self-reflexive! Or not so flexive. Or extra-flexive, because it is a bionic joint now.

There were wax and resin casts of his (non-injured) arm and fingers, grainy and too-close x-rays of his knuckle, a photo essay of his developing bruise and healing finger, and pride of place, an examination table. The idea of the ideal was suggested by a diagram of the Golden Mean as applied to a human arm alongside a cast of Travis’ uninjured left arm and hand. The casts of fingers were laid out in a sequence of opaque wax gradually lightening to transparent resin to reveal springs and screws embedded in the knuckles. He used mouse trap springs! I liked that. I bet Jason Christie really liked that too—what with his Robot poems. I bet Larissa Lai would have found it really interesting too, since she also had a recent mechanical injury.

Well I liked it, and I did have my New Year's Conga-Line Disaster-injury to ponder on (not that that was very bad at all-- turns out those hot springs actually DO have healing properties!) And the opening was well-attended. Wine was drunk and so was I har har har. No actually I wasn’t, I left early—that is, earlier than the move of location to Ming and the exhibition that Travis apparently put on there. Something about passing out, though sitting up?

5 Comments:

Blogger Jill said...

Also, I wanted to mention the other exhibition. Travis' scrotum. I saved this bit (bits heh heh) for the comments so it is hidden from the casual reader, but you should all know that the bruise Travis documented with his camera was on his thigh and in one shot you can see his NUTS! Or at least, the side of his nuts where they cosy up to his thigh. That's what you're missing, ladies who've moved away.

12:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

And the carpet matches the curtains! EGAHH.

8:05 PM  
Blogger Frances Kruk said...

it's quite clear what the show was really about then. 'grainy and too-close x-rays of his "knuckle" and casts of "fingers." oh, randy.

4:25 PM  
Blogger a.rawlings said...

your blog misses you

8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, he is so hot though

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home